Search This Blog

JW.ORG and Watchtower Library in one search box:

Friday, February 7, 2014

How Does John 14:28 Show That Jesus is Not God?

At John 14:28, Jesus himself said that "the Father is greater than I." (RSV)

This conflicts with what the Athanasian Creed states:

"25. And in this Trinity none is afore or after another; NONE IS GREATER OR LESS THAN ANOTHER.

26. But the whole three persons are coeternal, and COEQUAL." (Emphasis mine.)
http://www.ccel.org/creeds/athanasian.creed.html
--------------------------------------...

But again, Jesus said that "the Father is greater than I." (John 14:28)

Jesus further said:

“Father, if you wish, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, let, not my will, but yours take place." (Luke 22:42)

"I have come down from heaven to do, not my will, but the will of him that sent me." (John 6:38)

"What I teach is not mine, but belongs to him that sent me." (John 7:16)

"Jesus went on to say to them: “Most truly I say to YOU, The Son cannot do a single thing of his own initiative, but only what he beholds the Father doing." (John 5:19)

"I cannot do a single thing of my own initiative; just as I hear, I judge; and the judgment that I render is righteous, because I seek, not my own will, but the will of him that sent me." (John 5:30)

"For from God (note how Jesus phrases God as a separate person from himself) I came forth and am here. Neither have I come of my own initiative at all, but that One sent me forth." (John 8:42)

How Do Trinitarians Try to Rationalize Jesus' Statement at John 14:28?

Trinitarians may try to rationalize Jesus' words at John 14:28 and these other Scriptures by saying that he said these things while he was a man on earth. But EVEN WHEN JESUS IS IN HEAVEN, the Bible says that "the head of the Christ is God" in the same way that "the head of every man is the Christ." (1 Corinthians 11:3)

1 Cor. 11:3 can also be used in conjunction with 1 Cor.15:28 which shows that Jesus *subjects* himself to God, and also phrases Jesus as a separate and distinct individual *from* God.

Clearly, the Bible teaches that Jesus is not God but is instead God's only-begotten Son! (John 1:18; Col. 1:15; Rev. 3:14)

Also see:

Is Jesus Almighty God? (JW.ORG)

Why Is Jesus Called God’s Son? (JW.ORG)

Why Don't Jehovah's Witnesses Believe in the Trinity? (Defend Jehovah's Witnesses)

Questions For Those Who Believe in the Trinity (Defend Jehovah's Witnesses)




SEARCH THIS SITE:

Defend Jehovah's Witnesses


SEARCH JW.ORG:

JW.ORG